A chargeback is the return of funds to a customer, on request of their bank, in order to resolve a disputed payment.
Chargebacks can only occur after the Settlement of funds has taken place. Each chargeback transaction has a parenttransactionreference field that contains a reference to the original transaction.
Listed below are three common scenarios that may result in a chargeback:
- The customer was billed an incorrect amount.
- The customer claims to have never received goods or service as promised at the time of purchase.
- The customer did not authorise the purchase (e.g. because their card was stolen).
The request type of the transaction generated will be “CHARGEBACK”.
Each chargeback is represented on our records as an independent transaction with a unique transaction reference.
Chargebacks are shown with a settlestatus of 100 (“settled”).
- The value of the parenttransactionreference field in a chargeback always refers to the original authorisation processed. The value of the settlestatus for this AUTH remains at 100.
- In some cases, a single payment may be subject to multiple CHARGEBACK requests. For further information, please contact your acquiring bank.
- Notifications of chargebacks are optional and you must contact our Support team to activate this functionality on your account.
It may be possible for you to dispute a chargeback if you have reasonable cause for doubting the customer’s case (e.g. a customer claims a package was not delivered but the package was signed for). For any queries relating to chargebacks processed on your account, please contact your acquiring bank.
We provide two methods for keeping track of chargebacks processed on your account:
- Automated URL Notifications sent to a server of your choosing.
- MyST can be used to browse records of chargebacks.
Configuring URL notifications
Viewing chargeback transactions in MyST
Chargeback transactions can be seen on the MyST “Transaction search” page, by searching for transactions with the request type “CHARGEBACK”. Click the “Filters” tab, and select “CHARGEBACK” in the “Requests” box, then click “Search”.
They can also be seen by viewing a transaction in MyST using the “Single Transaction View”, and clicking the “Related transactions” tab. Chargebacks will only be shown in the related transactions area when a chargeback has been raised for the transaction being viewed.
For further information on how to use the MyST “Transaction search” page and the “Single Transaction View”, refer to the MyST User Guide.